Thursday, April 12, 2007

15 Months

(Disclaimer: this is my understanding of events, I am not a journalist or expert)

For those of you who weren't aware, the Secretary of Defense announced last night that all active duty army units would have their deployments extended to no more than 15 months, with 12 months at home. Even though Allen is not in a unit that will deploy, I still sat there, listening to the announcement with a sense of dread, and imagined all of those military families out there who were finding out that their soldiers were not coming home at the time expected. Apparently, this announcement wasn't previously passed on to the soldiers first. Just as when Allen's unit was extended, the families read it first from the news, rather than their units. Sadly, for some units, this was good news. This meant their deployment would be no more than 15 months, rather than the 16 that some units have endured. This also means that the units will be home for at least a year, since many of them have not been. I don't pretend to know what the solution in Iraq should be, but I am so saddened to think of all these families who have 3 additional months to worry about their soldiers' safety.

4 comments:

Katie said...

I'm sure it brings back some terrible memories for you. I can't believe what you and those other families have had to endure!

Unknown said...

Your comments made me tear up. When I read the announcement yesterday, all the feelings of hopelessness, anger, frustration and pure saddness came back. My heart broke for all the spouses trying to wrap themselves around this right now. I wanted to email all the wives I know who are facing this!! It made me realize how quickly we forget the misery and lonliness of a long deployment! I support the troops and their families. However, I'm finding it increasingly hard to support the politics behind it all.

Anonymous said...

When I read that in the paper yesterday it made me mad. We ask far too much of our soldiers and their families these days.

Anonymous said...

My heart sunk as well when I heard this on the new yesterday. I am speechless.