Saturday, October 14, 2006

Out of Control

My sister-in-law Sharon started the "3 gift" rule for Christmas this year. The 3 gift rule is basically that each child may receive no more than 3 gifts from each person for Christmas. That is 3 gifts from each set of grandparents, parents, Santa, etc. It may seem strange to need to have a 3 gift rule, but some people in our family are out of control. When Sharon mentioned it to me last year, I thought it sounded like a great idea, and told Bob and Vicki that I wanted in on that, too. Ashlyn does not need more than 3 gifts from anyone. Personally, I really would prefer to spend less on her, rather than think of it as 3 gifts. Think about it, 3 gifts could be VERY expensive or very cheap, depending on what your child wants. If they want something incredibly expensive one year, that may be their only gift. So, now I am just rambling. Anyway, my point being, attempts at controlling the gifts our children receive are not working out quite right. Vicki mentioned that she wanted to get Ashlyn a slide. I really didn't like the idea of a slide in the house, but relented and said I guessed we could have it in the house for a short time before we moved, as in from Christmas to March. Or maybe we could keep it in the box until we got to Germany. Instead, I came home tonight to a slide in the office/playroom. Apparently, Ashlyn needed a Columbus day present. The gift giving is Out Of Control.

(Ashlyn is going to love it.)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carpe diem...!

Anonymous said...

In our defense we didn't have this rule with our first three grandchildren. And, it's a difficult one to get used to.

Smitty 1, 2 , 3 and 4 said...

Love the slide and I bet that Ashlyn does too. She will use that alot during the cold dark winter.

With all that being said, I do understand about Xmas gifts and people going overboard. The reason people do it is because they love us and enjoy seeing us happy from gifts they can give. BUT... during the holidays it puts too much pressure on people to buy the perfect gift and spend more money than they can afford. It makes it especially hard when you live far away and have to buy gifts along with air fare.

So my theory is: Spoil me all year and at Xmas a card will do. :)

Kim said...

I've seen my friends/relatives with kids invoke some interesting gift restrictions-- by amount, by number, and by size (as in, "nothing bigger than a breadbox for Christmas this year").

I guess it all depends on what the parents/rulemakers are most concerned about.

My mom and dad are doing great so far-- but she's just now getting old enough to express real joy over new toys and gifts. We'll see if they can withstand the Grandparent Gifting Syndrome.

Kim

Anonymous said...

Man, just let everyone get Ashlyn however much they want and then sell it all on Ebay. :)

Anonymous said...

That's pretty cold! Selling Ashlyn's gifts before she can enjoy them. I can see that after she is done with them but at least give her a chance to have a little fun! Bob has only seen her twice and three times for me in her 16 months so if we want to spoil her a little when we do see her I don't see an issue. However, we will abide by our daughter-in-laws rules and keep to 3 Christmas gifts (or set of gifts :) )

Anonymous said...

Well, we really miss all of you - and Pawpaw is just a old broken hearted grandfather without his sweet baby girl Ashlyn. We are coming down from the HIGH of being with Angie, Ashlyn and all their friends. Home is where the heart is and our hearts are with our children and grand children. On the one hand it's true that buying too much is not what Allen and Angie wants, but on the other hand somewhere in the Good Book I think it says "If you want to know where someones' hearts are look for their treasure - for where ever you find their treasure there too you will find their hearts." I know, I know, it's not exactly what the Good Book says but what I said is what it means, right...? Live for smiles, laughs and love...
With Love, Bob/Dad/Pawpaw

Katie said...

After seeing how much Ashlyn loved the playground, I think it will probably be a well-loved toy this winter!!! You might be thanking your lucky stars some dark, cold afternoon.

I have seen some kids get overwhelmed at Christmas--where they can't even finish opening all the gifts and start getting cranky! That is what I want to avoid.

Angie said...

It isn't just the Christmas overwhelming thing, but that is part of it. We don't want our children to get EVERYTHING they want. Somewhere along the way Ashlyn is going to learn that things cost money, and her parents (and grandparents) don't have a limitless amount. I want her to appreciate what she has and not focus too much on material possessions. Plus, how can we ever teach our children that Christmas isn't all about gifts when it takes them the whole day to open gifts?

Angie said...

I do like the ebay idea. Maybe we could open Ashlyn's gifts before she sees them, and figure out what will bring us the most money!

Anonymous said...

That is terrible!

OK...we get it. No more gifts other than birthday and Christmas and then only three for Christmas.

Anonymous said...

Love...(my final answer)...
With repsect, loyalty and love, Bob/Dad/Pawpaw