Saturday, September 30, 2006

Mommy Brain

After my post earlier in the week about how life changes with a baby, I thought I would share what I learned from 20/20 tonight. Apparently, moms really do change more than dads when having a baby, and it doesn't have anything to do with who is the main caregiver. It's all about hormones. The hormones that pregnant women experience actually affect their brains. The "mommy brain" is changed to focus on taking care of the new baby and even to aggressively protect their children. FYI

3 comments:

Smitty 1, 2 , 3 and 4 said...

Interesting.

Katie said...

I saw that! It also said a woman's brain shrinks by EIGHT percent while pregnant. HELLO. That is some significant brain shrinkage. Freaky.

Angie said...

Yeah, that 8% thing really freaked me out at first, until they said that it returns to its normal size within 6 months. The things we go through for our children.