Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Big Cut

She was only upset because I told her that her hair looked terrible, just terrible.

The scene of the crime.

During Ashlyn's quiet time today, she apparently had a pair of scissors in her room. So, of course, OF COURSE she cut her hair.

I was nearly in tears when I saw it. Some of the bits in front were only a few inches long. Part of the side was hacked up to her ears. Ashlyn had cut at least a bit of her hair all of the way around. This photo only kind of shows how bad it was.



I called a local kids hair place to make sure they weren't packed and took her immediately.

Her hair hasn't been this short since she was about 18 months old.




He did a decent job evening up the bottom, but without giving her a boy's cut, it was going to have some crazy bits.

Mug shots: You can see the worst of the damage on this side.

10 comments:

Katie said...

From the small pic on your FB page I thought maybe you cut her some bangs and I thought it looked TOTALLY adorable. Then I saw what really happened. Actually, I think it really looks cute. She may be talented!!!

(But I know how traumatic bad haircuts are for all involved!)

Anonymous said...

Sad little Princess...gives a whole new meaning to "bad hair day." Just when you think things are going, well...all good things come to an end, or "bad ends." Monthly trips to the hair dresser for the next 6 months should have the Princess back in good form again! See all of you soon! Bob

The Matthaidess' said...

I think that almost every little girl cuts her hair. I know that I did it and my sister did it as well. The guy did a good job evening everything out. She still looks adorable!

The Dunns said...

It ended up super cute! That's a great length for her. Glad you were thinking clearly enough to get pictures. :)

Myrtle said...

I cut Paula's hair for her when we were in grade school. It came out uneven of course. She had her school pictures taken that way. She still loves me anyway.

Anonymous said...

I really like the new hair-do! Think it looks super cute, athough yes, I was horrified when I saw the mess of hair on the floor! I had a boy cut most of my childhood even shorter than this, and looking back I do look super cute too :)

Kim said...

My sympathies! Gracie did this almost exactly a year ago. She told me she was trying to be like Mulan (who cuts her hair before going off to war disguised as a man).

The shortest piece only just grew out into the rest of her (chin-length) hair a month or so ago. I, too, think it's pretty common rite of passage... better that she do it now and learn the lesson than do it during the school year and provide the meanies with a reason to tease her for months, I guess. We're trying to grow out Gracie's bangs right now, which makes her look a bit like a sheepdog (barrettes never hold them back for long), but hopefully that'll be nearly over by fall. Most people will never notice the odd bits!

Unknown said...

Liv and Lila have both done this - not as bad - but, been there just the same. Welcome!

After the more professional cut, she looks great.

Anonymous said...

the difference between a good hair cut and a bad one is two week

Harrisonjoy said...

My sister Donna nearly had her head shaved after a hair-cutting episode....
Ashlyn looks AWESOMELY CUTE with that hair cut!! :)