Wednesday, January 21, 2009

"Collaborative" Quilt for John

Several years ago, John and Joy were cleaning out a shed on their property. In it, they found quilt squares made by John's mom in the 1940s. (They were paper pieced onto newspaper from 1944.) At the time, I didn't know what to do with them. This time last year, I pulled them out again, and decided they needed a new life. I asked Joy to send me photos of John and his mom. I then sewed everything together into a new quilt for old John.

9 comments:

kathi said...

That is one fantastic quilt! I love how the photos break up the string blocks, enhancing them rather than overwhelming them. I am so impressed.

Sharon said...

And, that is a gift to NEVER be outdone! Beautiful job, Angie!!!

Anonymous said...

Great job Angie - what a wonderful gift.

Vicki

Harrisonjoy said...

John is SO PROUD of that quilt! He has taken it all over Harrison to show anyone who would be still long enough! He especially loves the name tag that Angie sewed onto the quilt.

You made an old man happy on his 75th birthday, Angie!

Anonymous said...

Angie, you have inspired me so much, I am planning to take sewing and quilting lessons this winter and get started on some quilts and clothes for Beth. We've created a lot of little project-y things, but nothing lasting like this. I'm really looking forward to getting started. So thanks!

Laura said...

I still don't know how you have the time to sew so much. You're amazing. I love the quilt.

sara said...

Wow! That quilt is amazing! Not to mention that you found the time to put it together while raising to kids & getting ready to move! You are awesome!

Unknown said...

Wow! Great!

Myrtle said...

What a great job you did on the quilt. John is one lucky guy.