Monday, July 21, 2008

Kaltenberg Medieval Festival

On July 6th, we went to the Kaltenberg Medieval Festival. We arrived just in time for the big parade of the day. Ashlyn was able to see everything great from her seat on Allen's shoulders. I was able to hold my camera in the air and get a lot of shots like this:
Many of the groups that were in the parade walked throughout the market grounds later, on their way to the jousting event. Bob had no problem standing in their way to get good photos.






There were many market stalls, performances all day, and other activities.

Ashlyn on the hand-powered ferris wheel.

Bob, trying his hand at archery.


Of course, the big event was the Knights' Tournament. Bob suggested we buy seats in the covered area. I kind of thought cheaper seats that were closer to the action might be better. As we were making our way to the arena, the rain started. Soon, it was pouring. With the wind blowing, the rain was nearly horizontal. The show went on, but I was glad to be out of the weather, in our covered seating. Fortunately, it did not rain the whole time. There was something for everyone, princesses, knights, horses.


Not sure about these men. Think they wanted me to take their picture.Busy day. For those who have asked, they just konk out eventually. We do nothing. Apparently taking after their father, who has fallen asleep while walking.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks like it was a fun day. Lots of cool pics!

Andrea and Ben said...

That looks like such a great day! We sooo need to get to Europe!

Anonymous said...

I have been reading your posts and I am over due to comment. Grandma and I had a great time at this fest that you suggested and worked up to get us tickets. Really good choice. The fest, plus you all and great beer puts this on our list to go back to Germany maybe in 2 years...start saving now (Grandma are planning to go back ourselves next year)! Thanks Angie for the work you put in to these posts, a labor of love. It was all really good! Love, Bob/Dad/Pawpaw

sara said...

Wow! What great pics! Looks like you all had a great time!

Lysandra said...

Ha ha....I can't believe Allen has fallen asleep while walking.

Anonymous said...

OK Angie, fess up. The guy with the red shirt was hitting on you and I had to send Allen over to rescue you.

Vicki

Angie said...

Well, he was at Ranger school, where he was extremely sleep-deprived, but same thing.

The Dunns said...

Great pictures (especially the sleeping ones -- my favorite!). What a unique vacation! Love keeping up with your adventures.

Sharon said...

More GREAT pics...looks like lots of fun!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Ashlyn's look in that picture. It says "Princesses, jousting knights, horsies...yes, this is my kind of festival.

Unknown said...

I am SO bummed that I missed the midieval festival here, at Obidos. I hear, from locals (after the fact) that is not to be missed. However, it was 95 degrees that wknd...so, I'm not sure we would have enjoyed it anywa. If we're still here next year, we'll be sure to make it!

Looks like you had so much fun. Again, love the sleeping pictures.

Angie said...

We seem to miss a lot of different festivals near here. We'll find out later that something was going on. This medieval festival is supposed to be the largest, but I've heard that the one in Rothenberg is better. And, of course, we've missed it for the past two years!