Monday, January 14, 2008

Life (so far) with two



Before Christopher was born, I admit I was worried about how life was going to change. Ashlyn is at an age that I really enjoy. We can have conversations, play games, just do stuff together. She has a pretty sweet personality, and I like my girl. Every time I thought of the baby, I thought about all of the work involved. And the lack of sleep. And the constant nursing. It wasn't that I didn't enjoy Ashlyn as an infant. I loved that time. She was the only one I had to take care of, though. And, I've enjoyed some of her new independence as well.

But, I really just forgot. Yeah, I'm not sleeping. And, I swear Christopher thinks that he should just be permanently attached to me. And, I lose track of how many diapers are changed in a day. That's all ok. I forgot that the work isn't that big of a deal, most of the time. I want to do all of this. He's my little guy, and I'm loving him a little more each day.

I'm feeling much calmer than I was at this point with Ashlyn. I blame this in part on being my second child. The first survived me. And, the biggest reason: Allen is not about to deploy for a year. Knowing that a second parent will be available most of the time helps.
Of course, right now, Allen is at home. And, my parents are here. So, really all I have to do is take care of Christopher. At some point, I'm going to be home alone and expected to do all of those things that 4 adults are currently sharing. And, at some point, Christopher is going to start causing more problems. Ashlyn is going to hit a new stage that will make me crazy. But, I'm feeling pretty calm about all of this right now. I have more help coming. I won't be doing it alone for awhile. By then, I'll be feeling better. The house may not be cleaned as often. Laundry may get behind. We'll figure it out. For now, life is good.
(I added more pictures on Flickr, too.)

9 comments:

Unknown said...

He's adorable. I'm so glad you're getting help. It made the world of difference for me! For the first two months, I had more help than I needed. It was so so nice! And, like you, I felt so calm the second time around. I couldn't wait to do it again. Now, I've smartened up and will wait a long while longer before the third comes around. But, still, those first few months were wonderful! Actually, until we moved, things were easy. Then, hourly care went away and I struggled. But, things are getting back on track. I don't have to tell you to enjoy these times b/c they go by so fast!

Anonymous said...

Christopher is so very cute...and he looks like he has personality! I love your photos, you can tell you are an artist. Ella is easier than Nora was. Nora had a hard time breast feeding and Chad left for a month after she was born. Ella is just more laid back than Nora...I hope that lasts. I will be in Europe in 7wks!!! Any suggestions?

The Dunns said...

I'm so glad you are enjoying it. For me, each baby is a little easier ... well, maybe not always easier, but I definitely worry less and things come a little more naturally with each one.

Ashlyn & Christopher are so cute together. I can't believe how big Christopher looks already! How is your recovery going? So glad you have family there to help!

Anonymous said...

Christopher is such a strong health boy! He looks so different than when Jackson was born - I used to think all babies looked pretty much the same - until I had my own. It is amazing how their little personality comes through so quickly. Hope the feeding is going o.k - don't forget he wont starve if he's left to wait a bit! I didn't have family help when Jackson came along, and brad went back to work the very next week - but it sounds like it would be nice to have help around. Be sure to take advantage of it all!!!

Katie said...

First of all...he is already holding up his head? Isn't that, like, INSANELY early? Or have I forgotten!?

The pics are beautiful. Christopher is perfect. I am so glad that you are feeling calm about things. That actually makes having another one not seem like the scariest thing I've ever contemplated!!

sara said...

What wonderful pics! Ashlyn looks like she just told Christopher a secret! And what a strong boy, holding his head up already! I hope your recovery is going well & you are feeling back to normal in no time!

The Capozzoli Clan said...

So glad you are up and moving around. SOunds like the recovery is going well. The babies are so cute....both of them. Christopher looks so strong...holding his head up...a big boy already! Too cute. Having help is wonderful! I remember after Paulie came not wanting my mother to leave, but after being here for a month...close to 6 weeks (bedrest and all) she had to go home. It take a few days to get into a routine...and now, the laundry, dishes, cleaning, etc gets done when it gets done. Life is better that way. Look at your babies and you'll see....it is better to get hugs and kisses then to clean dishes. Love to all.

Trace

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you are adjusting well. Just seeing him makes me want another...
He looks wonderful and Ashlyn looks like she is enjoying having the little man around.
The pictures are great. Everyone looks so happy... especially Princess Ranger;)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the pictures Angie - they are great. Can you get one with the kids faces together so we can compare?

By the way...that was THE best calendar ever. Please tell Ashlyn thanks for us.