Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Big Bellied Momma


I had another doctor's appointment last Friday. My main reason for the visit was a glucose test for gestational diabetes. I was used to everyone being tested for diabetes in the states. Here they only test if they suspect you may have it. Apparently, I am large (as in the baby is large) and I have quite a bit of amniotic fluid, which can also be a sign. I do not have gestational diabetes.

What I do seem to have is a BIG BABY. I was told, based on the ultrasound, that the baby was about 6 lbs, 10 oz. At the time, I thought, that's a big baby for not quite 33 weeks, since I've had friends who gave birth to full term babies that were smaller than that. Then, I received my email for 33 weeks from baby center (for those of you who don't know, you can sign up for emails to be sent out every week of your pregnancy and into childhood.) According to that email, my baby should be just over 4 lbs at 33 weeks. BIG BABY. I know that the size prediction of the baby can be wrong. The midwives were wrong with Ashlyn, but they just kind of felt my belly. I'm feeling like this seems more correct because it was based on an ultrasound. We'll see. Any guesses?

I saw one of the doctors that I've complained about before, but I'd thought it was lack of communication that was a problem. Her English is fine. I just don't like her. She had me feeling quite stressed about the diabetes test, so that I was afraid to ask any more questions. I felt like I had done something wrong that they were testing me. This time, she started asking me whether I had discussed labor with any other doctors. I told her a little, and I planned to have a c-section this time. She proceeded to tell me all of the risks with having a c-section. I was almost in tears, not from the risks, but because I felt like she was trying to talk me into a vaginal delivery. I kept saying "I still want to have a c-section." I do want to know the risks. I've had multiple doctors in the US tell me all the risks I would face if I had another vaginal birth, and they all told me they did not recommend that route. Some of the risks she was mentioning for a c-section are also risks for a vaginal birth. Would she be telling me these risks in that case? Probably not, because we aren't supposed to scare women before they have babies, unless they are having a c-section, that is. I am not opting for a c-section because it is convenient or because I want to avoid the pain of labor. I do want to feel that I have a doctor who is on my side, my advocate.
I find it very frustrating that I just see whoever happens to be there that day. I have another appointment in 2 weeks (not quite that long since I am slow posting.) Surely I will not see the same doctor 3 visits in a row! And, for those of you who have been asking, at that appointment I should be scheduling a date for this baby to be born, risks and all.

5 comments:

The Dunns said...

Your tummy looks great! I'm praying for someone there who can ease your mind and support you through the rest of your pregnancy and your delivery. I can imagine how scary it is for you. But you have every reason to expect this delivery and recovery to be completely different from the first. They so often are. Soon, this all will be a distant memory and you will have a beautiful baby to cuddle.

How are you feeling physically? Any differences from Ashlyn? How are the early mornings going?

I'm guessing a big, bouncing baby boy. ;)

Unknown said...

Two doctors predicted that my sister was having a 9.5 lb baby. They were nearly two pounds off (7lbs.) Ultrasound included. So, you just never know. I predict a boy also. And, second babies do tend to be a bit bigger...

Some doctors don't know when to drop it. If you told her you know of all the risks, there was no need for her to go over it again. Sorry to hear about that. You can't request to see someone else? If you're really uncomfortable with her, I'd tell someone. Are they that heartless that they won't help you out? If there are a few doctors there, you can't rotate between two that you like and avoid the one you don't? I guess I don't understand the system there.

She kind of sounds like the doctor I had a bad experience with here. He was appauled I was still nursing Lila at 10-months. When I expressed my wish for a water-birth or homebirth next time and wanted to explore midwives, options here, began to tell me how elective c-sections are great. His wife had two and was back at the gym is little to no time. Then he went on to say that they take precautions here and that, pretty much, I was stupid to even think about a waterbirth (even though I told him I had already had one) or a homebirth. "You won't find that here." I had to quote the WHO's recommendation of breastfeeding for him to shut about me still nursing (which he did after that). And, I nearly quoted the statisics in Holland about birth. More than half of the babies are born at home there and their infant mortality rate is LESS than in the US. Anyway, I refuse to see him ever again. In my case, there's another clinic I can go to. Your case sounds a lot different.

But, like Holly said, it'll all be over with sooner than you realize. Lila's one already! It seems like yesterday I gave birth!

Anonymous said...

My prediction:
weight 8lbs 8.1oz...birthdate 8/8/1...2008/08/01...time 8:18...
a boy...
B/D/P

Kim said...

SALUTE here from another (recently) big-bellied mama...

Quinton was a big baby, with lots of extra amniotic fluid. Other than his kidney stuff (which we hope we'll find has worked itself out when we go to the Drs appt next month), he's totally healthy. (And at 9 lbs 10 oz, I very nearly had a c-section with him; your fella's size is yet another reason to be confident in the wisdom of your c-section decision.)

just fyi- My last weight estimate was four days before he was born; they estimated 9 lbs 13 oz via ultrasound, so they were pretty darn close.

You're in the home stretch now! It's all going to work out, and you'll end up with a (big) little bundle that will totally bless your world (and rock Ashlyn's!). You're in my prayers as you navigate the choppy German OB waters.

Lysandra said...

If I had to guessed on your tummy I am goingwith BOY! That is how I looked being pregnant...and 8lbs 9oz. is what I am guessing. That is what Michael was! Good luck with your baby!